How your podiatrists in Denver, CO, can help you get relief from bunion pain
Bunions can interfere with your life by causing pain and making it difficult to find shoes that fit comfortably. There are simple at-home ways to get relief from small bunions, but for larger painful bunions, you may need the help of your podiatrist. Drs. Florin Costache and Lorry A. Melnick at Cherry Creek Foot Clinic in Denver, CO, can help your feet feel better.
What Exactly Is a Bunion?
A bunion looks like a large, bony, hard bump right next to your big toe. Bunions are much more common in women because they more commonly wear shoes that are too narrow and crush the toes (e.g. high heels). The big toe joint is pushed outward and rubs against the inside of your shoe, causing the bunion. High heels add to the problem by pushing the toes further forward. Bunions can also be caused by a bone deformity in your foot.
Small bunions aren’t always painful. If you have a small bunion that is causing discomfort, you can try a few simple home remedies to get relief from bunions. Remember to:
- Change to wider shoes; you should be able to move your toes comfortably
- Use padded inserts or cushions; they can help cushion the bunion
- Tape your foot; taping helps add support
- Ice the bunion several times each day; this reduces swelling
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications; this reduces inflammation
Large, painful bunions need the help of a foot expert, your podiatrist. You may need x-rays to help determine the level of bone involvement, which can help determine which treatment is best for you. At Cherry Creek Foot Clinic, they offer several effective treatments to relieve bunion pain, including:
- Custom-made footwear or orthotics, to support your feet
- Night splints, which can help realign the toe joint
- Removing calluses and corns to reduce friction on the bunion
- Surgical removal of the bunion, known as a bunionectomy
You don’t have to deal with bunion pain when help is just a phone call away. Your podiatrists can get rid of bunion pain for good, so just pick up the phone and call Drs. Florin Costache and Lorry A. Melnick at Cherry Creek Foot Clinic's Denver office. Dial (303) 355-1695 now!