Posts for: April, 2015
Learn more about the ways to care for your bunions to reduce pain and irritation.
Are you suffering from a bunion, a bony protrusion that grows out from the base of the big toe? If so, you’re probably looking for the best ways to care for your condition so that you do deal with unpleasant foot issues. Find out the best ways to properly treat your bunion to prevent pain and discomfort.
Caring for your Bunion
Most patients can find relief from their bunion symptoms just by following these simple at-home tips:
- Opt for shoes that fit properly and offer a roomier toe bed. This means avoiding narrow shoes and most high heels, which can put pressure on your bunion and cause discomfort.
- Wear a bunion pad for added protection to prevent shoes from rubbing against your bunion and causing pain and swelling.
- Take over-the-counter pain medications and anti-inflammatories to help eliminate your bunion-related discomfort and swelling.
- Consider getting shoe orthotics to help redistribute weight and to help take pressure off the bunion. Talk to your Denver podiatrist about custom-made orthotics and whether it could help you.
- Trying icing your bunion for about 10 to 20 minutes at a time to help keep down pain and swelling.
Some patients also find a reprieve from their bunion symptoms by performing physical therapy exercises. Talk to your Denver podiatrist to find out which exercises could improve your condition and reduce your symptoms.
If you find that these non-invasive treatments don’t reduce your bunion symptoms, then it may be time to consider how bunion surgery could improve your condition. After all, bunion surgery is the only way to truly remove a bunion for good. There are several types of bunion surgeries so it’s important to talk to your Denver podiatrist about what bunion surgery is right for you and your foot health.
If you are dealing with a painful bunion that needs medical attention then it’s time to schedule an appointment with your Denver podiatrist, Dr. Lorry Melnick at Cherry Creek Foot Clinic.