Posts for: August, 2017
How your podiatrist in Denver can help
It’s easy to neglect your feet until you have a problem. Foot problems can happen when you least expect it. They can also be debilitating, keeping you on the couch. It’s important to know what to do when you have one. Dr. Lorry Melnick at Cherry Creek Foot Clinic in Denver, CO wants to share the facts about some common foot problems and their treatment.
If you have a large, tender bump next to your big toe, it’s probably a bunion. Bunions are caused from wearing shoes that are too narrow and crush your toes. Women are much more likely to get bunions because of narrow, pointed shoes and wearing high-heels makes the problems worse by pushing your toes forward.
You can treat the bunion yourself by trying to:
- Place bunion pads inside your shoes
- Tape the bunion to cushion it when you move around
- Purchase shoes with a wide toe box
If you have heel pain, it may be from plantar fasciitis, a condition caused by inflammation of the wide band of tissue running across your heel, called the plantar fascia. You can get plantar fascia if you stand or walk on hard surfaces for long periods of time, or if you are overweight.
You can treat plantar fascia yourself by trying to:
- Rest and put your feet up
- Wear heel supports in your shoes to cushion your heel
- Do arch stretches several times each day
If your toenail is dark and swollen, you may have an ingrown toenail. Ingrown toenails are caused from cutting your toenails too short or if your toenails curve under naturally.
You can treat an ingrown toenail yourself by trying to:
- Soak your toe in warm water frequently
- Place dental floss underneath your toenail to force it upward
- Spread antibiotic cream on your toe and toenail
- Bandage your toenail
- Wear sandals or open-toe shoes
If you suffer from a common foot problem and home remedies don’t work, help is on the way with just a simple phone call. Dr. Melnick at Cherry Creek Foot Clinic in Denver, CO is standing by, so call today and get some help for your foot problem.